A THREAT from the despotic North Korea regime that Australia could face a "nuclear strike" if it continues to back the United States has done little to change the position of Foreign Minister Julie Bishop, who hit back with the diplomatic equivalent of telling North Korea to sit down and be quiet.

The message from the North Korean Foreign Ministry warned Ms Bishop to "think twice about the consequences to be entailed by her reckless tongue-lashing before flattering the US".
 

SHOWY: A military parade in Pyongyang on October 10 last year marked the 70th anniversary of North Korea’s ruling party.
SHOWY: A military parade in Pyongyang on October 10 last year marked the 70th anniversary of North Korea’s ruling party. Wong Maye-E

The threat follows Ms Bishop telling the ABC that North Korea's determination to develop nuclear weapons was a "serious threat" to Australia.

This was a "string of rubbish", according to North Korea, which then warned Australia would face "a suicidal act of coming within the range of the nuclear strike of the strategic force of North Korea".

Seemingly unruffled by the threat of nuclear destruction, Ms Bishop said the notoriously poor nation "should invest in the welfare of its long-suffering citizens, rather than weapons of mass destruction", the ABC reports.

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence, left, and Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop pose for a photo during a visit to the Australian Museum in Sydney, Saturday, April 22, 2017.
U.S. Vice President Mike Pence, left, and Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop pose for a photo during a visit to the Australian Museum in Sydney, Saturday, April 22, 2017. David Moir/Pool via AP

She again emphasised that North Korea needed to shut down its "illegal nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs".

Opposition defence spokesman Richard Marles said while the statement was an enormous concern, the comments from North Korea were not surprising.

Earlier this month, the acting US ambassador to Australia James Carouso told The Australian that within two years, North Korea could have the missle capacity to strike Australia.

 

The tit-for-tat came as US Vice-President Mike Pence again attacked North Korea's weapons program while in Australia.

Mr Pence told Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull following a meeting how they were "truly grateful" to Australia for calling on China to do more to quell the threat of North Korea.

Mr Turnbull however would not say whether Australia would be part of a military strike on North Korea.

"At this stage, the support we are providing is at the level of diplomacy (and) is of critical importance," he said.

News Corp Australia


Forensic examination of skeletal remains could take 'weeks'

premium_icon Forensic examination of skeletal remains could take 'weeks'

Police have found skeletal remains in bushland in Byron Bay

Ballina murder case delayed amid legal confusion

premium_icon Ballina murder case delayed amid legal confusion

Bryson Larsen-Tai, 18, is charged with the murder of Jesse Vilkelis-Curas.

Burnouts on Lismore oval lead to two arrests

premium_icon Burnouts on Lismore oval lead to two arrests

POLICE said the pair seemed to be affected by drugs or alcohol but they refused to...