No decision yet on Ballina marina plans

PLANS for the construction of two marinas at Ballina are still under investigation by the NSW Department of Lands.

A spokesman for the department, Phil Fogarty, said registrations of interest for the marinas closed on December 17 last year.

“This allowed any member of the public or industry to give their comment about development of the sites,” he said.

Mr Fogarty said plans for Ballina's trawler harbour and Regatta Avenue boat harbour included commercial opportunities and public domain improvements.

He said the department was investigating constraints on both sites before proceeding with the projects, including talks with the Roads and Traffic Authority for the possible removal of its depot at the trawler harbour site.

Mr Fogarty said a study had been commissioned identifying engineering options at the trawler harbour.

“An appraisal of site constraints will form part of this study, such as contamination of sediment in the harbour waters and geotechnical issues associated with previous land reclamation work,” he said. “We need to be sure there is a feasible project to invite industry to put time, energy and cost into any proposals.”

Information on the Department of Lands website indicates the trawler harbour and adjoining open space is Crown land, while the Regatta Avenue boat harbour site is expected to be declared Crown land and has the potential for tourist facilities.



Man 'hit and dragged' by car in busy street

Man 'hit and dragged' by car in busy street

The incident reportedly occurred after an argument

WATCH: Car crash video sparks debate over new road rule

WATCH: Car crash video sparks debate over new road rule

'Nothing but a dangerous revenue raising scam'

GALLERY: Nimbin show turns on the charm

premium_icon GALLERY: Nimbin show turns on the charm

Were you spotted at the Nimbin Show?

Local Partners