Nimbin benefits from safety camera
A recent statistical report has revealed that safety cameras installed in the main street have contributed to a reduction in criminal activity in Nimbin.
Sgt Peter Bryant, of Nimbin Police, said an analysis was carried out using data for the Nimbin Sector from the five years before and after the camera installation which occurred in 2005.
“The cameras alone could not be credited with being the sole reason for the decline, however there was clear evidence that they both assisted police in their investigations and acted as a significant deterrent for criminal activity within the Nimbin CBD,” Sgt Bryant said.
Some examples of statistical trends were:
• assaults – down 22%,
• break and enter – non dwelling – down 33%,
• drug detection – possess – up 45%,
• drug detection – supply – down 47%,
• malicious damage – down 19%,
• steal from motor vehicle – down 41%,
• stealing – down 41% and
• stolen vehicle – down 44%.