Mum says iPhone 7 left her with second degree burns

A SYDNEY mother claims to have has suffered second degree burns after falling asleep with her iPhone 7 resting on her arm. 

Melanie Tan Pelaez took to Facebook to alert the public about what happened.

"I recently purchased an Apple iPhone 7 and accidentally fell asleep with my arm on my phone whilst it was charging," the western Sydney resident posted.

"I was woken up by sudden pain, pins and needles, numbness and shortness of breath.

"This is a picture of the result of sleeping with my phone whilst charging. PLEASE be careful... 

"I have been an iPhone user since the beginning and have never had an issue or concern, so it's really scary and disappointing that something like this happened and can happen to someone else."

Ms Pelaez, who is presently pregnant, told News.com.au she went to the doctor the morning after the burns appeared and was told she needed to go to hospital. 

After a number of tests she was told a foreign object was responsible and she says she then paired up the shape of the burns with the shape of her phone. 

Apple says the phone has a function which means it shuts down before over heating.

Apple has been contacted for comment. 



Terrifying break-ins have residents on edge

premium_icon Terrifying break-ins have residents on edge

"He left female underwear behind and also left blood in our sink"

Rescue plan for Lismore CBD a 'long time coming'

premium_icon Rescue plan for Lismore CBD a 'long time coming'

Bold initiative passes 6 votes to 5

'Living hell': Airbnb style holiday letting a 'cancer'

premium_icon 'Living hell': Airbnb style holiday letting a 'cancer'

"We don't have neighbours... we have strangers, coming and going".

Local Partners