Mullumbimby man to be the toast of Feeling the Heat
THANKS to a dodgy kitchen appliance, Mullumbimby's Jade Pearce is toast.
The 24-year-old electrician lost nearly everything he owned when a fire caused by a malfunctioning new toaster burnt to the ground the granny-flat he was renting on Robinson's Lane in the early afternoon of February 5.
All he has left is his four-wheel-drive vehicle which was parked at work, the clothes on his back and a cast-iron frypan and wok which survived the flames.
He estimates he lost up to $60,000 worth of belongings including a couple of computers, his motorbike riding gear, a host of brand new kitchen appliances and kite surfer he'd bought just that week which he never got to use.
Jade, who was alerted about the fire via a text message from his landlord, admits he's struggling to come to terms with his loss and is living with his sister at Pottsville while he gets his life together.
The former Cape Byron Steiner School student had only recently quit his job in the Queensland mines and returned home to help his mother build a house.
Friends and family have rallied around him donating a lot of items and are also hosting a 'Feeling the Heat' fundraiser on March 10 at Mullumbimby's Drill Hall.
The line-up of local musicians and performers includes Mark Heazlett, Belle Hendrik, Sue Hird, Guy Kachel, Dee Lavell, Ross Noble, Renee Searles and George Smilovici and friends.
Organiser Mandy Morris who has known Jade since he was four years old, said he was a hard-working guy who was still coming to terms with his loss.
"He's just in shock so we wanted to give him something to get back on track with and make him feel like he's not alone," Ms Morris said.
The fundraiser kicks off at 5pm and tickets can be purchased at the door.
Jade has asked that a percentage of all proceeds go to other house fire victims.
Donations can be made online at www.facebook.com/events/456487551089221/?ref=14
A Fire and Rescue NSW spokesman said faulty electrical appliances were responsible for a lot of house fires but it was not known how many were new.