Australian Defence

MH370 search area nearly covered

MORE than three-quarters of the initial search area where MH370 was believed to have crashed into the Indian Ocean has now been checked.

An update on the joint search operation on Wednesday showed 75% of the initial area had been searched, but the aircraft is still missing.

The Malaysia Airlines flight disappeared in March last year, with 227 passengers and 12 crew members on board now presumed dead.

But the Australian-led hunt has continued, with an expanded 120,000sqkm search area being scoured for any sign of the aircraft.

The update said the search of the expanded area had begun, where the best chance of finding the plane remained.

Beyond that area "it was not possible to refine the search area to one of greater likelihood".



'Amazing' $200,000 lotto win for Casino pensioner

'Amazing' $200,000 lotto win for Casino pensioner

"It will make life so much easier."

Lake Ainsworth water quality 'poor' says government report

premium_icon Lake Ainsworth water quality 'poor' says government report

Report rates water quality in beaches, estuaries and lagoons.

Discount coupons for Lismore show plus full program

Discount coupons for Lismore show plus full program

Don't miss Tuesday's copy of The Northern Star

Local Partners