Metgasco lashes government over refusal to produce evidence
THE NSW Government has chosen not to submit evidence to the Supreme Court regarding the suspension of Metgasco's exploration licence, Metgasco has announced.
The government was expected to lodge any evidence by last Friday, but after requesting an extension yesterday apparently informed the Court it had decided against submitting any.
Metgasco earlier lodged evidence to support its claim on July 28.
The decision has prompted Metgasco to release an ASX statement today criticising the government for being inconsistent.
Chief executive Peter Henderson said the company was previously told its request to see the government's evidence was "premature".
"It's possible there isn't any evidence because the decision was made on the spur of the moment," he said.
The decision also meant senior public servants and politicians involved in suspending Metgasco's licence could not be cross-examined at the hearing, now expected to be heard in December.
Mr Henderson said the public needed a full explanation of why the government made its decision.
"We think it's important the public can see why the decision was made, how the decision was made, in a transparent manner.
"We think the net effect of this is to reduce the transparency of the overall decision making (by the government)."