Man treated after accidentally poisoning himself

A MAN who accidentally poisoned himself while spraying cattle was treated in an emergency decontamination tent today outside Byron Bay Hospital.

Emergency services received a 000 call just after 9am this morning by a man already en route to Byron Bay Hospital who had exposed himself to possible organophosphates.

A HAZMAT unit from Goonellabah assisted by Byron Bay firefighters set up a decontamination tent outside the hospital for the man who arrived at about 11am.

A Fire and Rescue NSW spokeswoman said the man was suffering from the effects of organophosphate contamination, with symptoms including nausea and blurred vision.

The man had clothes removed and was washed down after having before being admitted to the hospital.

Agricultural pesticides are the most commonly used organophosphates and act as a neurotoxin, with both acute and long-term effects.



How beers around the campfire led to this very cool business

premium_icon How beers around the campfire led to this very cool business

They left their council and construction jobs to follow a dream

'This will be huge': New show like a theme park ride

premium_icon 'This will be huge': New show like a theme park ride

"You'll come out saying, 'what did I just see?'”

Funding to save 300-year-old pine trees

premium_icon Funding to save 300-year-old pine trees

MP says coastal cypress pines need to be preserved

Local Partners