Man charged over brutal Byron Bay stabbing

UPDATE: A MAN will face court today over an alleged stabbing at Byron Bay yesterday.

About 11.45am yesterday, officers attached to Tweed/Byron Local Area Command were called to Butler Street Reserve, Byron Bay, after reports a man had been stabbed.

Police have been told a 49-year-old man was assaulted by another man at the reserve.

He was treated by NSW Ambulance Paramedics for multiple stab wounds, before being airlifted to Gold Coast Hospital in a critical condition.

He remains in hospital and is now believed to be stable.

A 48-year-old man was arrested a short time later and taken to Byron Bay Police Station.

He's since been charged with wound with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and was refused bail to appear before Tweed Heads Local Court today.


MONDAY 6AM: A 45-year old man suffered multiple stab wounds just before midday in Byron Bay yesterday.

Ambulance officers attended the bloody scene and said the man had stab wounds to his chest, stomach and lower limbs.

A precise count of the wounds couldn't be made at the time because the man was too bloody, and had not yet been cleaned up.

Police were called to the scene of the stabbing at 11.45am, at Butler Street reserve.

Last week the same site hosted Byron Bay's famous craft market.

Moments later local Byron Bay police arrested a 48-year old man in relation to the stabbing. He was being held at Byron Bay police station yesterday afternoon, where he was helping police with their inquiries.

Police have not released any details about what might have prompted the attack, or details about the weapon used. It is also too soon to determine if the two men were known to each other.

The patient was immediately transported to Byron Bay Hospital before he was airlifted to the Gold Coast Hospital by the Westpac Rescue helicopter in a critical condition.

BREAKING: People evacuated from Lismore Base Hospital

BREAKING: People evacuated from Lismore Base Hospital

A number of people have been evacuated this afternoon

Investigation continues after girl's tragic death

Investigation continues after girl's tragic death

Car is being mechanically examined as police wait on test results

Hopes new development won't stifle music scene

premium_icon Hopes new development won't stifle music scene

Venue hopes proposed development won't lead to noise complaints

Local Partners