Man refused bail after smash-up
ACCUSED of stalking his former girlfriend, smashing her LCD television and damaging her car, Casino man William Barry Kent was refused bail when he appeared before the Registrar at Lismore Local Court.
Kent, 21, faces seven charges involving the young woman, including stalking/intimidating, recklessly destroying/damaging property and using a communications service to menace/harass, with the alleged offences taking place at Casino in November and December.
Along with damaging the television, Kent is accused of damaging the bonnet, roof, handbrake and inside mirror of a Mitsubishi Lancer sedan.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Peter Ellis opposed bail on the grounds Kent, who admitted breaching his bail conditions, had re-offended while on a good behaviour bond.
Dressed in a black T-shirt, Kent said from the dock that if granted bail he had no intention of going anywhere near the woman or contacting her.
It was revealed before the Registrar that the disqualified driver had a work vehicle parked outside the woman’s home.
Kent denied the Registrar’s comment there was a clear indication he had been driving, despite being disqualified from driving until 2012.
Instead, Kent said the vehicle had been parked there by a workmate.
He said it was the first time he had spent a night in a police cell, which gave him time to think and he did not intend to get himself into any more trouble.
Bail was refused with the matter adjourned to January 4.
Sgt Ellis also told the Registrar that Queensland police had a warrant issued for Kent over an allegation of assault causing bodily harm in company while being armed.