Courtroom mystery: who was driving the speeding car?
A FINCH Hatton man has been left to deal with a speeding infringement after two other drivers passed the buck on claiming responsibility for it.
On Tuesday John Frederick Crabbe was refused an extension of time at the Queensland Court of Appeal to fight against the speeding conviction.
Mr Crabbe argued it took authorities 14 months to claim he was behind the wheel at the time.
He said the speeding infringement was originally sent to the car's registered operator, who claimed another unnamed person was driving the car at the time.
This unnamed person claimed they were not driving the car and nominated Mr Crabbe as the driver.
"It's been 14 months later that I was nominated as a driver of this supposed vehicle," he told the court.
He said the case had been going on for about two years and that four infringement notices had been issued for the same offence; three had been withdrawn.
"It seems to be a fishing exercise to see where the evidence was going to land on," he said.
Mr Crabbe was previously convicted and fined in the magistrate's court for disobeying the speed limit. He then appealed this at district court and lost and was ordered to pay costs.
On Tuesday, Mr Crabbe said he had been forced to try and remember events from 14 months ago.
He said his work did not require him to travel down the road where the car was caught speeding and that there was not a log book in the vehicle to help determine who was responsible.
Chief Justice Catherine Holmes said Mr Crabbe had a defence if he issued a notice saying he was not behind the wheel, or that he could not reasonably find out who it was.
The Queensland Court of Appeal refused Mr Crabbe's application for an extension of time. - APN NEWSDESK