A man has been hospitalised after his legs caught alight during a beach fire in Byron Bay.
A man has been hospitalised after his legs caught alight during a beach fire in Byron Bay. John Towells

Man hospitalised after legs caught fire

A MAN has been treated at Byron Bay Hospital after suffering burns to his lower legs while in the vicinity of a fire.

Police and ambulance personnel were called to Belongil Beach in Byron Bay at 1.30am last Thursday when a group of males attempted to light a fire on the beach, despite total fire bans.

One of the males threw some methylated spirits onto the flames as an accelerant, however some of the liquid splashed on the victims legs.

His legs subsequently caught fire and caused burns.

The victim and witnesses have indicated they are not willing to disclose who threw the spirits onto the fire.



Former client tells court of 'scam' healing workshop

premium_icon Former client tells court of 'scam' healing workshop

Universal Medicine founder is suing over alleged online claims

Will house prices drop on the Northern Rivers?

premium_icon Will house prices drop on the Northern Rivers?

As property prices decline in cities, we look at the local market

LIST: Trading hours for businesses on Lismore Cup day

LIST: Trading hours for businesses on Lismore Cup day

What's open and what's closed for the half day public holiday

Local Partners