63-year-old killed after struck by machinery at dump site

UPDATE: WORKPLACE Health and Safety are investigating following the death of a 63-year-old man who was struck by a piece of machinery at the Qunaba Waste Facility.

Bargara officer-in-charge Sergeant Matt Steinhardt said the man was from the Burnett Heads area.

"A 63-year-old diesel fitter was conducting mechanical maintenance on a front end loader when he was pinned by the machine," he said.

"The man did not regain consciousness and died at the scene"

Queensland Ambulance Service senior operations supervisor Nigel James said crews responded to the incident about 1.30pm yesterday.

"Four crews worked on the man for 20 minutes but were unable to save him as a result of the significant traumatic injuries he received," he said.

Bundaberg Regional Council CEO Peter Byrne said the dead man was a contract worker.

"There's been a workplace incident at our Qunaba landfill site and regrettably there's been a fatality," he said.

"We had contractors working on our landfill site providing a service in relation to our landfill and regrettably there has been an incident with machinery and a person has been killed."

Mr Byrne said while he could not name the contractor involved it was a local company that had been a long-term provider of services to the council.

"The site is now under the control of the Queensland Police Service and Workplace Health and Safety Queensland and our officers together with the contractors will be working in close co-operation ... to ensure a full investigation is handled appropriately," he said.

Mr Byrne said he was not aware of any council employees being involved in the incident.

"The information I have to hand - none were involved," he said.

"The mayor, councillors and all the staff just want to pass on our sincere condolences to the family of the deceased."

The dump will be closed until at least Friday.

EARLIER:   A MIDDLE-AGED man has died after being struck by a piece of machinery at the Qunaba Waste Facility.

Queensland Ambulance Service senior operations supervisor Nigel James said crews responded to the incident at about 1.30pm today.

"Four crews worked on the man for 20 minutes but were unable to save him as a result of the significant traumatic injuries he received," he said.

Bundaberg Regional Council CEO Peter Byrne will address the media this afternoon.

Workplace Health and Safety are investigating.



What’s with the weather? It’s like four seasons in one day

premium_icon What’s with the weather? It’s like four seasons in one day

UMBRELLAS, sunblock, scarfs and raincoats all need to be handy as the Bureau of...

Ballina development to steam ahead ‘unimpeded’

premium_icon Ballina development to steam ahead ‘unimpeded’

The massive residential development planned for Ballina Heights will go ahead

Race meetings are on the move

premium_icon Race meetings are on the move

THE reasons why Ballina Jockey Club transferred its race meeting to Casino