A MAN has been arrested on suspicion of preparing an Isis-inspired terror attack in the Netherlands after police found a loaded Kalashnikov and explosives alongside the group's flag.
The Dutch Public Prosecution Service (Openbaar Ministerie) said the 30-year-old suspect was taken into custody on Wednesday.
Searches of his home in Rotterdam uncovered an AK-47 with two loaded magazines, four boxes of "highly explosive" illegal fireworks, mobile phones and €1,600 (£1,300) in cash alongside a painting of the Isis flag.
The suspect, who has not been identified, will remain in custody for at least two weeks as investigations continue.
His arrest came a day after Belgian police detained a suspected cell of Isis supporters who were recruiting foreign fighters for the so-called Islamic State.
The Belgian federal public prosecutor's office said a court extended the detention of three suspects on Friday on charges of recruiting people to travel to Syria and financially supporting Isis.
Numerous terror plots have been uncovered in Europe since the group declared its "caliphate" in 2014 and Europol has warned further attacks remain likely across the continent.
The Paris and Brussels attacks were carried out by militants deployed by commanders from their strongholds in Syria, while other atrocities like the Nice massacre and German train attack were carried out by extremists apparently inspired by the group's propaganda.
No attacks have so far been launched in the Netherlands but the country is among Isis' targets as a member of the US-led international coalition bombing its militants in Syria and Iraq.
The Dutch government extended air strikes by four F-16 fighter jets from Iraq into Syria in January and they have taken part in operations helping push fighters out of key strongholds including Fallujah and Manbij.
More than 260 extremists have travelled from the Netherlands to join Isis in Syria or Iraq since 2012, according to a report released by its National Coordinator for Terrorism and Security.
At least 42 are known to have been killed, 40 have returned and 170 Dutch men, women and children are thought to remain in the group's territories.