Man armed himself with Maori club

BENJAMIN PERRY was peeved-off after being attacked outside his East Lismore home following a soccer grand final celebration.

So the next day he walked across to a neighbouring home carrying a wooden Maori ceremonial club to confront his attackers. Police were called to the Hunter Street house when Perry banged on the house’s metal supports and was recognised by a resident.

Police stated that at the time of his arrest Perry was suffering a black and swollen left eye.

In a statement to police used to explain his behaviour, Perry said that when he and a mate arrived home at 1.30am on September 19 a group of young people were in the street and a young man walked over and king hit his mate. When Perry pushed the young man he is alleged to have then punched Perry in the head and knocked his mate unconscious.

“Then a stocky little guy came running out at me and kicked me in the left side of my body. I got hit in the back of my head as well,” he told police.

Perry, 25, a labourer, pleaded guilty in the Lismore Local Court to carrying an offensive implement in a public place at 7.40am on September 20.

Defence lawyer Sophie Anderson said her client made an unwise choice to go across to the house and was affected by alcohol.

“He was badly assaulted the nightbefore after being out at a grand final celebration and was set upon,” she said.

“There was no reason why he was attacked. He took the implement because of the extent of his injuries the night before.”

Magistrate Robyn Denes said Perry had acted like a vigilante attempting to get retribution.

“You were going around there to thump them all,” she said.

However, Ms Denes considered his case to have extenuating circumstances and decided not to convict Perry of the offence. Instead the magistrate placed him on a Section 10 bond – a conditional discharge to be of good behaviour for 12 months.

Ms Anderson asked for the Maori ceremonial club to be returned as it had belonged to Perry’s father.

Ms Denes said she had problems with it being returned because Perry had taken the implement with him to the house. The item will remain with police until its fate is decided at a later date.

That case will be heard in court at a later date.

14-year-old lifesaver's amazing act of kindness

14-year-old lifesaver's amazing act of kindness

Ballina teenager went out of his way to help a woman on the beach

North Coast stuck between wild weather systems

North Coast stuck between wild weather systems

The Northern Rivers is stuck in between two major weather events

'I hate country music'... but here's $35,000 for a festival

'I hate country music'... but here's $35,000 for a festival

Council offers extra help to Ballina Country Music Festival

Local Partners