Calls for inquiry into former MP
THE Repco Rally should be part of any investigation into decisions made by beleaguered former NSW Minister for State Development Ian Macdonald, Broken Head-based Greens MLC Ian Cohen said.
Mr Macdonald stood down from his ministerial position last week and resigned from Parliament on Monday after admitting he had misled NSW Premier Kristina Keneally about the circumstances surrounding a 2008 trip to Italy and Dubai.
Mr Macdonald has been also accused in a scathing report by the NSW General-Auditor of signing up taxpayers to the V8 Supercars race without a system to manage potential conflicts of interest, without advice from the Government’s major events body and without a proper business case.
Mr Cohen said a thorough investigation should be conducted of all major events, including the Repco Rally held in the Kyogle and Tweed shires last September, with which Mr Macdonald was involved.
“It’s not enough a Minister steps down, takes his pension and goes,” MrCohen said.
Mr Cohen said he supported the call by the No Rally Group for an investigation into Mr Macdonald’s support of the rally.
No Rally Group spokesperson Andrea Vickers said the group believed there were parallels between the former minister’s management of the V8 Supercars and the rally.
“We always knew it did not add up and with the release of this Auditor-General’s report we feel there may be a similar lack of due process in regard to the funding of the rally event,” Ms Vickers said.
The group is calling for an investigation to be conducted by the Auditor-General into the rally.
It is also calling for the cost of the rally to taxpayers to be revealed.