Plenty of fun in store at the Woodburn Riverside Festival
WOODBURN will celebrate a day of fun on Saturday, October 12, when the Woodburn Riverside Festival is held for the second time.
First held last year, the event will feature raft races, dragon boats, markets, fireworks, and more from 10am-9pm.
A highlight will be the inter-council challenge race between defending champions Richmond Valley Council and Lismore City Council.
Organiser Pam Bellingham said the challenge was a "fun race between teams of four," which includes a kayak race and a mystery event.
Majors Ernie Bennett (Richmond Valley) and Jenny Dowell (Lismore) will be in attendance to claim bragging rights if their team wins.
Other highlights will include dragon boat racing featuring teams from the Clarence Coast and Rainbow Region clubs, displays by professional water-ski teams, a biathlon and music from the Casino Town Big Band and Occa Rock.
The event will culminate with a fireworks display about 8pm.
Ms Bellingham said that about 2000 people were expected to visit the riverside park for the day's activities.
The two mayors and local MPs Chris Gulaptis and Thomas George will attend the opening ceremony.
- 9am Markets start.
- 10am Activities in park start; opening ceremony; school choirs.
- 10.30am Council Challenge race.
- 11am-1.30pm Dragon boats, skiing demonstrations, kayak races.
- 1pm Clown arrives.
- 1.30pm Biathlon.
- 2-2.15pm Cheerleading displays.
- 2-3pm More skiing and kayak races.
- 3pm Raft race.
- 3.30pm Skiing demonstrations, kayak races.
- 4pm Kids' races (on land).
- 5pm Casino Town Big Band.
- 6pm Music from Occa Rock.
- 8pm Fireworks.
- 9pm Finish.
- Throughout the day: Jumping castle, petting zoo, face-painting, snow cones, fairy floss, barbecue, cheer-leading display, karate display.