Local events on today and tomorrow
1.U3A Friday Forum 10am, Lismore Workers Sports Club. Topic: How do we deal with our ‘skeletons?’ Ph 6624 3022 for further information.
2. The Winsome Soup Kitchen in conjunction with Lismore Art Club is holding an Art Exhibition and Open House at the Winsome Hotel, 11 Bridge St, North Lismore. Come take a tour of the historic building, then feel free to enjoy some art, wine, live music and cheese. Entry for Friday night is $5 with doors opening at 6.30 pm. A coffee shop and local Art exhibition will continue to run over the weekend from 10am to 4pm, with donation upon entry appreciated. All proceeds will go towards the running of the Winsome Soup Kitchen.
3. Al-anon Family Groups, 7pm, Trinity Catholic College, Orion St, Lismore, ph 6622 0369.
4. Poor Vision? Free closed circuit TV demonstration/access to assist vision impaired people with reading and writing, 9am-1pm, by appointment, ph 6622 8383.
5. Table Tennis Junior Coaching 7pm Lismore Workers Sports Club Table Tennis Centre ph 6624 5153.
6. Brunswick Valley Historical Society 11am to 3pm cnr Stuart & Myocum Sts Mullumbimby ph 6688 4356.
7. Free Walking Group for 18 years and older 5.15 to 6.30pm, Meet at Brewster St and Uralba St across from Lismore Square ph 6628 1822.
8. Lismore Laurel Club of Legacy meeting 10.30am C W A rooms Spinks Park Lismore ph 6621 4302
9. Coraki Rural Youth Club 7.30pm ph 6629 5217.
10. Social Support and Education group for guys under 26yrs 6pm to 8pm meal provided ph 6622 2193. or 6621 4170.
11. Northern River Legal Centre Casino Family Support Service ph 6662 6792.
12. Koonorigan BBQ 6.30 pm Koonorigan hall
13. Earlybird Advocacy Support Group for families of premature and long term ill babies 9.30am to 11am Family Support Network 46 Uralba St Lismore ph 6628 7111.
14. Karaoke “meet fun people and make friends” 12.30pm to 2.30pm Lismore Challenge Auditorium 296 Molesworth t Lismore ph 6627 5000 or 6627 5026
15. Community 4 Kids Playgroup 10.30am to 12.30pm Kalina Nursing Home Activities room, ph 6624 3311 or 6623 1602.
16. Northern Rivers Community Transport- Dunoon Access Shopping Bus runs today. $10 return. Also picks up Tullera, Modenville, The Channon, Numulgi, Woodlawn, Nth Lismore. Enq & bookings 66247070 or driver Graeme Manning 0448484995.
17. Tintenbar Community Aid Network (TICAN) 8.30am, helping people in the local community, ph 6687 8033.
1. The Scope Club of Ballina Inc is holding their renowned “DEATH BY CHOCOLATE” to raise funds for Australian Seabird Rescue Ballina, at 1.30pm to 2pm Masonic Hall Cherry St Ballina. Cost $10 entry – All you can eat. Chocolate cakes, slices, mousse & heaps more + tea, coffee, cold soft drinks. Raffles: Tombola Raffle- great prize very generously donated by our wonderful Ballina Businesses. Inquiries –Marilyn Myers ph 6687 6766.
2. Lismore Rugby Club Trivia Night will be held at Lismore City Hall in the Fountain Room beginning at 7pm. A bar will be running on the night but please BYO food or nibblies. Entry is $10 per person or $70 for a table of eight. Come and enjoy a night out with friends at the Lismore Rugby Club. For bookings please call Kellie on 0407 731 832
3. Roller Derby rolls into town! Newly formed Northern Rivers Roller Derby is proud to be launching their league, to be celebrated with a Roller Derby exhibition bout, played by the Sun State Roller Girls. There will be yummy food, entertainment, stalls and BBQ available on the night, with doors opening at 5pm. Tickets $15 per head available from Caddies Coffee Shop, and Dragonfly Café. Children under five free, for further information call Amber on 0400 242 934
4. Bridge Club 12noon Italo Club North Lismore ph 6621 5334 for more information.
5. Ballina Toy Library, 10am-1pm, Regatta Ave, rear of River St Children’s Centre, ph 6686 0275, 0411 719 074.
6. Red Dove Social Group, 9.30am-2.30pm, small group therapy for people with dementia , ph Service Manager on 6624 6711 for more information.
7. Gem & Lapidary Club workshop 1pm to 4.30pm Arts & Crafts Pavilion Lismore Showground ph 6688 8280.
8. Richmond- Tweed Family History Society research rooms open for business Mon 10am –4pm [Tues 10am- 1pm, Wed 1-4pm, Sat 10am to 4pm (except meeting days 10am to 1pm) 6 Regatta Ave , behind library, Ballina ph 6686 3257.
9. Lismore Art Club 9am to 3pm Wilson Park Special School Wyrallah Road cost $5 per head. For a list of what you need to bring ph 6625 1032 or 6683 2155.
10. Brunswick Valley Historical Society Market Day 9am to noon cnr Myocum & Stuart Sts Mullumbimby ph 6688 4356.
11. City of Lismore R.S.L. sub-branch and Women’s Auxiliary will each hold their May monthly meeting at the Lismore Workers Club, Keen St, Lismore, commencing at 9.45 am. Members requiring transport or apologies please contact 6621 3851
12. Volunteers working bee and Community day from 9am to 2pm Lismore Community Garden. Bring water to drink and fruit to share.
13. BBQ and Trivia night at Ruthven Hall. BBQ meal begins at 6pm, with Trivia to start at 7.30 pm. Prices $5 per person or $12 per family with school aged children. BYO drinks and nibblies. Bookings essential for catering purposes, please call either 6683 2430 or 6683 2090
Sunday (May 16)
1. 100 years of Girl Guiding : A reunion lunch will be held at the House With No Steps at noon to celebrate the Centenary of Girl Guilds. All adults members past and present are invited. For more information and register, contact Helen on 6689 5294.
2. Lismore City Library will now be opening on Sunday Afternoon between 1-4pm This is in addition to normal hours 9.30am to 5pm Mon to Wed, 9.30am to 7.30pm Thurs to Fri and 9am to 1pm Saturday. Info 66212464.
3. Summerland Amateur Radio Club, 1.30pm, Richmond Hill Rd, Goonellabah. Transmitting and test equipment, Internet facilities, ph 6624 3838 or 6621 8342.
4. Casino Miniature Trains on old Queensland Road near Golf Club, 10am-4pm. $4 fare with free admission to museum. Mid-week group bookings welcome also, ph 6662 1924.
5. Rainbow Region Boat Club 9am Lake Ainsworth, Lennox Head ph 6624 5481 or 048 2223275 for more information.
6. Dragon Abreast Northern NSW 8am Lennox Head Sport & Recreation Centre ph 6624 5481 or 048 2223275 for more information.
7. Table Tennis 9am to 12.30pm – Social- Lismore Workers Sports Club Goonellabah.
8. Pottsville Markets ph 6685 7010
9. Northern Rivers Model Railroaders Run Day 10am to 3pm c/n McLean Ridges Rd & Bruxner Highway Wollongbar ph 6624 7463.
10. Lismore Jazz Club Lismore City Bowling Club ph 6622 5912.
11. Fellowship of First Fleeters reminding descendants & friends of people who came to Australia on the First Fleet meet at 11.30am 16 Atlas St Lismore BBQ supplied at a cost of $8 ph 6621 3650 All welcome.
12. Alstonville Plateau Historical Society is holding its monthly meeting at 2pm in the R.S.L. Hall, Bugden Avenue, Alstonville. Guest speaker will be Natalie Green, a chemist from Terry White Chemist in Alstonville, who will talk about information and services in the community. Proceeds from the afternoon tea to go to the Cancer Council. Visitors Welcome.
Monday (May 17)
1. St Carthages Senior Day Care, 10am-2pm, Goonellabah Community Centre, for frail older people ph 6620 0008 or 6625 2600.
2. U3A Computer User Group 10am Lismore Workers Club. Topic: Manage files & compress documents and photos. Visitors welcome, ph 6628 1348 for more information.
3. Overeaters Anonymous meets 5.15 to 6.30pm at Red Dove Centre Keen St, Lismore
4. C.W.A. Alstonville will be holding a Craft, Chat, and Cuppa morning 9.30am in the RSL Hall, Bugden Ave, Alstonville, any enquiries call 6628 5660. All Welcome.
5. Kyogle Family Support Service, free counselling support, Mon-Thurs, 9am-3pm, Young Women’s Support Group, weekly 10am-midday, ph 6632 1044.
6. McKees Hill/Clovas Playgroup, 10am-midday, Clovass Community Centre, Bruxner Highway, Clovass, ph6662 3422.
7. Free Walking Group for anyone 18 years and older 5.15 to 6.30pm Meet at corner Brewster and Uralba Sts across Lismore Square ph 6628 1822.
8. Lismore Branch of Diabetes Australia 9.30am Lismore Workers Club Keen St Lismore ph 6624 1790.
9. Evans Head Laurel Club 10.am Evans Head R S L Club ph 6682 4237.
10. Post Natal Depression Support Group 1.30pm Goonellabah Community Health Centre Oliver Ave ph 6625 0111.
11. St Andrews Nursing Home Auxiliary Ballina meeting 9.30am ph 6686 3401.
12. Ballina C W A meeting 9.30am C W A rooms Ballina ph 6686 4652..
13. Tintenbar Red Cross 10am to noon Tintenbar hall ph 6681 3801.
14. Ocean Shores and District Garden Club 1.30pm at St Anselms Anglican church Orana Road Ocean Shores Guest speaker Jane Davenport from “Institute of Cute” to talk about identifying good bugs and bad bugs for our garden, and how to attract the good bugs. Floral arrangement for the month is to be a Mothers Day arrangement featuring white flowers. Visitors welcome ph 6680 2455.