Australia's Lleyton Hewitt acknowledges the crowd following his second-round loss to David Ferrer of Spain in the men's singles at the Australian Open in Melbourne on Jan. 21, 2016. With Hewitt previously stating he would retire following the tournament, Ferrer's 6-2, 6-4, 6-4 win marked the final match of the Australian's storied career.
Australia's Lleyton Hewitt acknowledges the crowd following his second-round loss to David Ferrer of Spain in the men's singles at the Australian Open in Melbourne on Jan. 21, 2016. With Hewitt previously stating he would retire following the tournament, Ferrer's 6-2, 6-4, 6-4 win marked the final match of the Australian's storied career. Kyodo

Lleyton Hewitt retires from pro tennis with trademark fight

LLEYTON Hewitt has farewelled professional tennis, ending his illustrious singles career with a straight-sets defeat to David Ferrer in the Australian Open second round on Thursday night.

The former world number one and two-time major champion yet again displayed his trademark fighting abilities despite being hampered by a thigh strain on Rod Laver Arena, but the eighth-seeded Ferrer answered the challenge to win 6-2, 6-4, 6-4 in two hours and 32 minutes.

The loss ends Hewitt's 18-year professional career and fittingly his final match was played at the Australian Open, where he first announced himself when he qualified for the main draw as a 15-year-old in 1997.

"I gave everything I have, like always, and left nothing in the locker room and that is something I can always be proud of," Hewitt said in a courtside interview.

"My whole career I have given 100 per cent. I love coming out here and competing. It is never hard to come out here and play in front of such great spectators.

Read more at ABC News Online

 

WATCH LLEYTON'S DAUGHTER SING FOR HIM THIS WEEK

 



'Consider your fire plan': residents told to be prepared

'Consider your fire plan': residents told to be prepared

A total of 79 bush and grass fires burn across the state

Local Partners