Things to do with your mum on Mother’s Day
WITH less than a week to go before Mother's Day it's time to get a move on and find a gift for that special lady in your life.
A gift could be something bought, something made, an experience or anything that brings a smile to Mum's face.
An experience, unlike a box of chocolate, is something you will both remember for years to come.
But beware - while this gift is great, you might find your mother using this as a golden opportunity to interrogate you with all the questions she holds back during the year (when are you getting married? When do I get to be a grandmother? Are you spending your money wisely? This high tea is lovely ... can I have your scone?).
With that warning out of the way, here's a list of special events on this Mother's Day weekend:
- Peppertree Kitchen on Magellan St in Lismore, $25pp, high tea. Bookings essential online or call 6622 0180.
- Mother's Day Fete at St Bartholomew's Anglican Church, The Avenue, Alstonville. from 8am until 1pm. Hot breakfast or lunch, homemade cakes, slices, jams etc. Buy Mother's Day flowers or a special basket gift. Crafts and cards, home-grown product and pot plants.
- Saturday or Sunday, go see Mother's Day at the cinema. Starring Julia Roberts, Jennifer Aniston, Kate Hudson and Jason Sudeikis.
- Neily Diamond Duo Mother's Day concert at Lismore Workers Club. 1.30pm, free.
- Palate at the Gallery Mother's Day luncheon. Set menu. Mains $25, desserts $12. Bookings essential on 6622 8830.
- French Farmhouse Mother's Day at Summerland House Farm, 253 Wardell Rd, Alstonville. $45 adult, $20 child. Bookings essential on 6628 0610.
- Head down to the Mother's Day Classic at Ballina to have fun, exercise and raise money for cancer. Participate or support participants in this 4.5km walk/run. Visit the website to register and view pricing options. Early bird prices end after May 4.
- Spinnakers Mother's Day Lunch at the Ballina RSL on River St. $58.90 for three courses. Kids under 12, $20. Kids under five eat free. Call 6686 2544 to book.
- At the Ballina RSL Bowling Club on Canal Rd, a two course lunch for $39.90 or three courses for $43. Under 12s $15 and under fives eat free. Entertainment by Brian Pamphilon. Call 6686 6888 to book.
- Get a complimentary glass of Taylor's pinot noir for mum with every meal purchased at Club Lennox. With every main meal purchased you enter the draw to win a Taylor's hamper. Live music from Dirty River from 4pm.
- Plant a tree with your mum or for your mum at Mullum, 8.30am-10am. Music and refreshments 10am-1pm. Located on Left Bank Rd, Mullumbimby in the organic farms precinct.
- At Graze Restaurant at Elements of Byron, attend the Mother of all Brunches on Mother's Day. Live jazz music from The Zoe Everest Trio, followed by The Miss Renee Simone Band. All mums will receive a complimentary glass of Chandon sparkling rose and treats from Elements of Byron's Osprey Spa. Bookings essential on 6639 1550.
- Mother's Day Picnic on the Lawn at Three Blue Ducks, Ewingsdale. Bring along your picnic rugs and umbrellas. The Three Blue Ducks is supplying hampers for $100. Order one and collect it on the day from the Produce Store at The Farm. Call 6684 7795.
- The Elegant Country Style Buffet Breakfast from 9.30am until 1.30pm at 12 Converys Lane, Wollongbar. At the new Edible Garden Cafe. Bookings essential on 6628 8994.
Readers' thoughts: The best place to take mum on Mother's Day
When our readers were asked on Facebook the best place to take mum in the region, answers were varied.
Katey Saad said: "Anywhere as long as you don't have to cook or clean up".
"The cinema to watch Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling's new movie, followed by lunch or dinner," Scott N Simone Barker said.
Michael James Stain wrote "Bunnings" and Steve Smith said "the Father's Day gift idea shop".
Other suggestions included Harvest Cafe, Rocky Creek Dam, Kyogle Golf Club, Ballina RSL and Leiah Williams said "camping".
Share your suggestions in the comments below.