Dangerous mistake: The house where a man was seriously injured trying to douse an oil fire with water.
Dangerous mistake: The house where a man was seriously injured trying to douse an oil fire with water.

Lismore dad hurt dousing fire

A YOUNG Lismore father suffered severe burns to almost half of his body following a kitchen fire in his North Lismore home late Monday night.

Firefighters and paramedics were called to the Terania Street residence about 11.30 after the 24-year-old attempted to extinguish a cooking oil fire with water.

His partner, who was still visibly shaken from the ordeal yesterday, escaped with the couple’s young child as the house filled with smoke.

She said her partner took the burning frypan into the bathroom and it exploded when he ran water on it, setting himself and the bathroom on fire.

He suffered a burnt airway and second degree burns to his torso, arms, hands and face and was transported to Lismore Base Hospital in a serious condition before being transferred by ambulance to the Royal Brisbane Hospital burns unit where he remains in intensive care in a stable condition.

Ambulance district manager Inspector Greg Powell said the inhalation of extreme heat from fires and other sources could have life-threatening consequences.

He said the victim was placed in an induced coma with a tube inserted to keep his airway open.

Lismore Fire Brigade station officer Ian Grimwood said more than half of all residential fires in NSW started in kitchens.

“Never ever try to put out a fat or oil fire with water. What happened last night is a sobering example of the consequences,” Mr Grimwood warned.

“Always fight oil fires with a fire blanket and store it in an accessible place away from the stove.”

He recommended that smoke detectors be installed in living areas and hallways near bedrooms rather than in the kitchen.

He said the smoke alarm closest to the kitchen should be a photo-electric type which was less prone to false alarms caused by cooking.

“Even if you think the fire is out, always make sure your family is safe by evacuating the premises and calling triple 0,” he said.

“Every family should have an evacuation plan in place that has been practised by all members of the household.”



HEARTACHE: New family business broken into twice

premium_icon HEARTACHE: New family business broken into twice

Family "gut wrenched" over attacks on their new business

Lismore showgirl winners are rural role models

premium_icon Lismore showgirl winners are rural role models

North Coast National showgirl winners have been sashed

'Thousands' of bluebottles invade our beaches

'Thousands' of bluebottles invade our beaches

Masses of these nasty stingers have washed up on the sand

Local Partners