Australia Day what's on
HERE'S a wrap of the ceremonies, celebrations and events happening around the Northern Rivers for Australia Day tomorrow.
If you know of any other community events going on, don't hesitate to email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org (Please write "Australia Day event" in the subject box).
We wish all our readers a safe and happy Australia Day weekend. Please take extra care on the roads with the expected wet weather.
- Formal ceremony 9-11am at Elizabeth Ann Brown Park.
- Australia Day Pool Party at Alstonville Pool. Free entry to the pool from 11am-6pm. Sausage sizzle and pool inflatable from 1-5pm.
- Cane toad races at the Australian Hotel from 2pm raising money for the SES
- Ballina RSL Club - boardwalk breakfast from 8.30am, kids' fishing competition from 10am, fireworks on the river at 9pm.
- Australia Day ceremony at Goonellabah Sports and Aquatic Centre from 8.30am
- Ambassador Benita Collings of Playschool fame will also be there. Bring a Big Ted.
- Aussie Battlers Survival Day noon-5pm at Kadina Park.
- Featuring Aunty Thelma, SupaFresh, Ozi Batla, Dhinawan, Sistagirl. Free event.
- Official ceremony from Ocean Shores Community Association 11am-2pm at Ocean Shores Country Club.
- Aussie tea from Ocean Shores Community Association 4-6pm at New Brighton Oval.
- Brunswick Heads breakfast in the park from combined services clubs 7.30-10am at the Housie Tent, Banner Park.
- Byron Bay breakfast in the park from the Rotary Club of Byron Bay 8-10am at Main Beach Park.
- Celebration of the Survival of Indigenous Culture from the Arakwal/Bundjalung people of Byron Bay, The Cavanbah Reconciliation Group, Sisters for Reconciliation 11am-3pm at Main Beach Park, Byron Bay.
- Fun afternoon from Byron Rural Fire Brigade 1-5pm at Gaggin Park.
- Family Fun Day from Bangalow Historical Society 2pm-5pm at Heritage House, Bangalow.
- Nimbin Pool Olympics at the Nimbin Swimming Pool from 10am.
- The Evans Head Community Group and Richmond Valley Council is hosting a waterfront day at Evans Head-Casino Surf Life Saving Club from 8am.
- Mini-triathlon, chalk art, touch footy and volleyball on the beach, skateboarders, music and performances, bush poets, face-painting, and a local market.
- Kyogle Australia Day activities have shifted from Kyogle Memorial Pool to Kyogle Memorial Hall from 8am due to the weather - billy tea and damper provided by the Kyogle Lions Club. Official ceremony from 9am with awards and Australia Day ambassador, ABC presenter Liz Deep-Jones. Free barbecue from Kyogle SES, entertainment by Glady's, jumping castle, bush poets, live music.
- Celebrations at the Woodenbong Public Hall all day from 9am. Billy tea and damper, followed by the official ceremony at 10.10am.
- City versus Country cricket match, free lunch, raffles, Yowie Country Markets.
- Woodenbong Hotel have kids' activities from 4.30pm with a barbecue at 6pm.
- Australia Day at Tabulam Racecourse from 10am. Tug-of-war, toss 'n' bull, craft and home-made food stalls, fun cars for kids, super swing. Ceremony from 1.15pm with ambassador, Frank Coletta.