Kyogle's choice on heritage
OWNERS of historical homes in Kyogle will be able choose whether they want to be on the council's heritage list after a decision at Monday's Kyogle Council meeting.
Cr Tom Cooper made an impassioned plea to councillors to 'stand up' and support his motion which would allow home owners to opt out of heritage listing.
“This is absolute bureaucracy gone mad,” Cr Cooper said about the possibility of compulsory listing.
Cr Cooper said the council had gone about things the wrong way and people should have been asked whether they wanted to be on the list.
National Trust advocacy manager Graham Quint said the new policy would create more uncertainty and confusion for homeowners.
“People purchasing homes will now not know they have bought a heritage property,” he said.
“When they try to alter the building there will be an outcry from the public.”
Mr Quint said the council would have to deal with the outcry time and time again.
A better system, Mr Quint said, would be one in which people could object to their inclusion on factual grounds.
“If the home had been modified significantly,” he said.
Cr Janet Wilson, who voted against the motion with Cr Lynette Zito and Cr Robert Dwyer, said there were many benefits to being on a heritage list, such as access to government money for repairs and restoration.
The council currently has no heritage policy, but a new local environment plan currently being prepared is expected to contain a list of heritage buildings which were identified through two independent heritage reports commissioned by the council.
The NSW Department of Planning said it would not be prepared to make a comment at this stage.SHOULD HERITAGE LISTING BE VOLUNTARY? Phone 6624 3266 or SMS 0428 264 948