Inquest into Jai Morcom's death

AN inquest will be held into the death of a Mullumbimby teenager who died following a schoolyard brawl.

Jai Morcom, 15, died after a recess fight between rival groups at Mullumbimby High School in August last year.

Despite an ongoing police investigation involving numerous witnesses, charges have yet to be laid.

The inquest was announced yesterday by a spokesman for theDepartment of Justice and Attorney-General.

The inquest will be held in the Lismore Courthouse, starting on January 31, 2011, and running for approximately two weeks.

Yesterday Jai's mother, Kim Morcom, said the continuing scrutiny of her son's death was difficult to deal with.

“It's doing what it's doing, that's the way it's gone, the way it's happening,” she said.

“It's really difficult to move on because this just keeps it fresh. It's hard to get my life back.”

Jai's father, Steve Drummond, has previously expressed his frustration that those responsible for Jai's death had not been held to account. He could not be contacted late yesterday afternoon.

In March Mr Drummond went to Sydney and met the NSW Education Minister Verity Firth, while he also handed over documents to the NSW Coroner that he had collected as part of his own investigation into Jai's death.

Council to seek funds for shire's worst roads

Council to seek funds for shire's worst roads

Industry-rich road desperate for an upgrade, says resident

Cooking from the heart for the homeless

Cooking from the heart for the homeless

Cheap and free meals a hit with the community

Songs in the key of Motown

Songs in the key of Motown

Tribute show is coming back to the Northern Rivers

Local Partners