ICC bans Samuels for 12 months for suspect action

Criticised for his poor body language and performance in the first Test, West Indian batsman and part-time spinner Marlon Samuels now has to deal with the issue of a 12-month bowling ban.

Samuels was reported for a suspect action following the Windies' first Test against Sri Lanka in October, and underwent testing at the National Cricket Centre in Brisbane earlier this month.

"The assessment revealed that Samuels' elbow extension exceeded 15 degrees while bowling and he employed an illegal bowling action," an ICC release said.

"As this report constitutes the player's second suspension within a two-year period, he is now automatically suspended from bowling in international cricket for a 12-month period."

Samuels, who scored just nine and three against Australia in Hobart, was first reported for a suspect action in January 2008.

He was subsequently suspended, but resumed bowling later that year after working on his action.

He again came to the attention of the ICC during a Test against India in November 2013. Following another assessment, he was allowed to continue bowling his standard off-breaks, but banned from bowling his quicker deliveries, which exceeded the allowable 15 degrees.

The West Indies will play a two-day match against Victoria in Geelong from Saturday, but will be without paceman Shannon Gabriel who has returned to the Caribbean with an ankle problem.

Carlos Brathwaite has been mentioned as a possible replacement.



'We know who they are': Locals fed up with young criminals

'We know who they are': Locals fed up with young criminals

Ballina residents say it's time to name and shame

Universal Medicine under the spotlight

Universal Medicine under the spotlight

Northern Rivers group responds to news of investigation

Pam's 42 years at popular Chinese restaurant

Pam's 42 years at popular Chinese restaurant

Lismore "gem” says it's finally time to retire

Local Partners