How to donate to Victoria's bushfire victims
SHERILEE MATTHEWS was horrified by the images of Victoria flattened and smouldering.
So she decided to help.
The young Goonellabah mum has teamed up with The Northern Star to collect clothing and non-perishable food items from across the Northern Rivers to send to Victoria.
“We should join together as Australians and help out,” Ms Matthews said.
“I was just horrified and so sad for them. Just disbelief.
“If you're there with your kids and you can't do anything...”
The Northern Star editor-in-chief Sue Short said the office had been flooded with calls from people wanting to help.
“Sherilee has offered to work with us to organise clothing and non-perishable food to be sent to Victoria,” Ms Short said.
“We know the community really wants to help the victims of this terrible tragedy.”
Ms Matthews is co-ordinating The Northern Star collection and has arranged for the local office of Toll IPEC couriers to ship the clothing and non-perishable food to Victorian fire victims without charge.
Collections points are at each of The Northern Star offices across the region, including in Goonellabah, Lismore, Byron Bay, Ballina and Casino. For details call Ms Matthews on 0414 442 533.
- The Red Cross on 1800 811 700 or go to www.redcross.org.au
- The St Vincent de Paul Society on 13 18 12 or go to www.vinnies.org.au
- The Salvation Army on 13 72 58 or go to www.salvationarmy.com.au
- Lions Clubs of Ballina: Collection points for cash donations are at IGA & Big W, Ballina Central, Kmart & Coles, Ballina Fair, Woolworths in River Street, Ballina, and at Farmer Charlies, Ballina
- The National Australia Bank
- The Bendigo Bank
- Media Centre, Ballina Road, Goonellabah
- Shop 5, 75 Jonson Street, Byron Bay
- 191 River Street, Ballina
- 100 Barker Street, Casino
- Cnr Magellan & Molesworth streets, Lismore
Want to know more?