Numerous brigades attend a house fire at Woodburn last night.
Numerous brigades attend a house fire at Woodburn last night.

House fire puts an end to dinner

PETER Wylie and Naomi Mikkelsen, of Woodburn, were sitting down to dinner last night when a neighbour told them the house next door was on fire.

“The front room was burning so we got the garden hose to help put it out,” Mr Wylie said.

“Damien (another neighbour) had his hose out but it wasn’t long enough so we raced to grab ours.

“We were worried that our house would catch fire too.”

Damien Swansborough, who lived two doors down, had also been told by a passerby that the house was on fire so the Broadwater Rural Fire volunteer raced into action.

“I just grabbed the garden hose, switched the power to the (burning) house off and hosed it,” he said.

Neighbours stood around in the cold evening air as they watched fire units from Coraki, Woodburn and Evans Head douse the flames of the Donaldson St weatherboard house.

There was concern from neighbours that a small boy may have still been inside, but Captain Ralph Lohse of Evans Head Fire Brigade said three searches of the property had found the house unoccupied.

“It is unconfirmed at this stage but the fire may have started from a heater,” Capt Lohse said.



The real reason why Black Sombrero closed its doors

premium_icon The real reason why Black Sombrero closed its doors

Auction of contents makes it clear this restaurant will never reopen

80 evacuated from shopping centre

80 evacuated from shopping centre

Fire crews are on scene

Asbestos discovered near rail corridor

Asbestos discovered near rail corridor

Council say the contamination poses no immediate health risk

Local Partners