Menu
News

Grafton KFC evacuated over gas leak

The Grafton KFC has been evacuated.
The Grafton KFC has been evacuated. Clair Morton

FIREFIGHTERS say the Kentucky Fried Chicken in Grafton is in no danger of being extra crispy, despite an unfolding situation at the fast food store.

Grafton Fire and Rescue captain Garry Reardon said staff self-evacuated the building when they heard the "very distinct sound" of a leaking bottle of carbon dioxide.

"The carbon dioxide bottles have leaked and filled the store with carbon dioxide, which displaces the oxygen," he said.

"They called us in to displace and do some atmospheric monitoring. The staff did the right thing."

It is expected they will be given the all-clear to return to business as usual soon.

Topics:  editors picks gas grafton kfc



How this mum-of-three's moment of fun went horribly wrong

Yani Sleep, 27, has broken her back in two places after jumping off the bridge at Brunswick Heads.

"Her face was white ... she kept saying, 'my back, my back'

JANUARY: Police chase, first baby and Coraki's bravest girl

Lyndell, Torah, 22 months, and Simon Piper welcome Kody into the world after he was born on New Years Day at the Lismore Base Hospital.

Grab tomorrow's paper for our Year in Review. Here's a sneak peek

$275,000 for urgent repairs at surf club

Evans Head-Casino Surf Life Saving Club.

The club was facing an uncertain future with critical repairs needed

Local Partners