Good Samaritan offers help after travellers' van destroyed
My daughter and I were walking around the soccer fields in Bangalow this morning at 11:30 when we heard a big explosion on the road. We ran up and found this VW camper burning. We didn't stay around for long as the smoke was too strong. Does anyone know who's van this is? It looks like they were travellers and they lost everything. I'd like to offer them some help if they're stuck.Posted by Magira Holmes on Friday, October 2, 2015
POLICE say a fire that destroyed a Volkswagen van at Bangalow at the weekend appeared to have been started by fuel leaking from the engine onto the exhaust pipe.
Byron Bay resident Magira Holmes posted this video of the van fire to The Northern Star's Facebook page, saying she and her daughter were walking around the soccer fields when they heard an explosion about 11.30am, Saturday.
Police said firefighters spent about 20 minutes battling to extinguish the blaze.
Nobody was injured, but Ms Holmes said the smoke from the fire was intense, forcing her and her daughter away.
Ms Holmes said the van appeared to be a travellers' van and offered to help the owners if they were stuck after the fire.
If you know who owned the van, they can get in touch with Ms Holmes by commenting on her Facebook post below.
The fire was one of two vehicle fires in the Byron Shire at the weekend.
A few hours later another van caught fire at the intersection of Wilfred Street and The Tunnel Road.
Police said the cause of the second fire, which started about 1.50pm, was not known.