Update Friday 12.15pm: A HORSE trainer who accompanied Scott Jones in the ambulance to Lismore Base Hospital after the gas explosion has spoken about the horrendous incident.

Early on Thursday morning around 7.45am, Lismore trainer Sharon Pepper was riding trackwork at the Lismore Turf club with fellow trainer Owen Glue shortly before the explosion.

She said the pair heard a loud noise then noticed some smoke as they passed the winning post.

"Owen said to me, 'is that fog?' (and) I said, 'no that's smoke, it's a fire' and we could hear people running and screaming and we knew it was serious," Ms Pepper said.

Ms Pepper said they found Mr Jones had gone into the female jockeys room and was under the shower trying to cool his blistered body.

"They found him in a very distressed state," she said.

"He had the presence of mind to get under the showers … it's helped save him."

The kiosk at the Lismore Turf Club where an explosion occured this morning, badly injuring a man.
The kiosk at the Lismore Turf Club where an explosion occured this morning, badly injuring a man. Cathy Adams

By the time Ms Pepper arrived at the building, she said the ambulance was on scene and Mr Jones was struggling to pass on information about the race meeting on the weekend.

"The ambulance personnel were amazing," she said.

"We had to make sure the vehicle (ambulance) was away from the building as there were still explosions happening," she said.

"He (Scott) was in really bad shock and wanted to talk about organising racing details - as Scott would do - and tried to give me keys and instructions."

Ms Pepper said by then several people were assisting the paramedics to stabilise Mr Scott so he could be transferred to hospital.

Wet blankets were placed on him, but Scott was "still talking away, conversing, and in a distressed way".

She said the police turned up and then the fire brigade.

"The ambulance guy was wonderful," she said.

Ms Pepper said the Lismore racing community were supporting each other in the aftermath of the accident.

"It was pretty horrendous but we all got through it," she said.

"We are lucky to have a tightly-knit training group, we got together at the stables afterwards and had a chat."

Racing New South Wales have been a wonderful source of support, she said.

"Our chief steward Mark Holloway has been exceptional in proving support to the Lismore racing community," she said.

"Mark is organising counselling for anyone here who needs it."


Update Friday 6.50am: EXPLOSION victim Scott Jones has been taken to Royal Brisbane Hospital, where he will undergo surgery and skin grafting today.

Counselling support is being offered to Scott's family and responders to the unfortunate incident.


Update 3pm: FAST thinking by burns victim Scott Jones saw him make his way into the jockey's showers after suffering horrific burns in gas explosion at the Lismore Turf Club this morning.

Lismore Turf Club deputy chairman, Mike Cleaver, said Mr Jones' actions have been praised by doctors as helping to save his life.

"He had the presence of mind to stagger into the jockey's showers and the doctors said this will help with his recovery," Mr Cleaver said.

"Scott has now been taken to the Royal Brisbane burns unit and has been placed into an induced coma as the doctors were worried about throat swelling."

Mr Cleaver said Mr Jones is as well as can be expected after suffering burns to 45 per cent of his body.

"Thankfully news of his condition has improved because we did fear the worst," he said.

Mr Cleaver confirmed the meeting this weekend has been transferred to Casino.

"The site is still a crime scene," he said.


Update 2.35pm: LISMORE police have said that gas explosion victim Scott Jones will be transferred to a burns unit in Queensland later today.

Sgt Brad Walpole said Mr Jones will be flown to a Queensland hospital.

"He should be going up to the burns unit in Brisbane later this afternoon," he said.

"At this stage his condition is considered stable and the hospital believe he will pull through."

Mr Jones, a father of three, was badly hurt in a gas explosion at the Lismore Turf Club this morning, and suffered burns to more than 45 per cent of his body.


Update 11.50am: RacingNSW has released a statement following this morning's gas explosion at the Lismore Turf Club.

"Scott Jones has ... suffered burns to approximately 45% of his body ... after a reported gas explosion at Lismore Racecourse this morning," the statement explains.

"Scott has also suffered a laceration on his face.

"The incident was responded to by Fire and Rescue and it has now handed over to police who will conduct an investigation into the incident.

"Due to the serious incident at Lismore Racecourse Saturday's six-race TAB this meeting has been transferred and will now be conducted at Casino."


Update 10.50am: LISMORE Turf Club deputy chairman, Mike Cleaver, has confirmed the person injured in the gas explosion at the racecourse this morning was the secretary manager Scott Jones.

Police are still treating it as a crime scene.

Lismore Turf Club secretary manager Scott Jones.
Lismore Turf Club secretary manager Scott Jones. Mireille Merlet-Shaw

"There has been a massive explosion and, unfortunately, our secretary manager has been badly injured," Mr Cleaver said.

"I sincerely hope he is okay.

"I am absolutely devastated … it's just devastated everybody, I am getting phone calls from all over the country.

"He is a lovely bloke, a family man.

"We are keeping our fingers crossed."

Mr Jones was due to be transferred to a Queensland hospital by helicopter, but that has been temporarily halted for an urgent case involving a 40-year-old woman with a head injury.

She will be airlifted from Lismore Base Hospital to the Gold Coast.

An ambulance spokesman said the helicopter would return for Mr Jones as soon as the woman was delivered.

Update 10am: A Safework NSW spokesperson said the organisation has received notification of the incident.

They have commenced an investigation and an inspector is responding to the site.

Update 9.30am: FIRE and Rescue crews have gone in and cooled down the gas cylinder, which was leaking and ignited when the person entered the kitchen at the racecourse this morning.

"Our crews have gone cooled the cylinder extinguished the fires and used the gas detector to check the atmosphere and it has now been deemed safe for entry," he said.

"The incident was run by Fire and Rescue as it was a fire and Hazmat incident and it has now handed over to police who will conduct an investigation into the incident."


Original story 9.05am: A MAN has been severely burned in a gas cylinder explosion at the Lismore racecourse this morning.

Firefighters, ambulance and police are currently on scene.

An ambulance spokesperson confirmed there had been a gas cylinder explosion and a male in his 30s has been treated for significant burns and is being transported to a hospital in Queensland.

It is understood his injuries are severe.

Fire and Rescue operations manager Gary White said two crews from Lismore plus the Hazmat van from Goonellebah attended the call, which came in just after 8am today.

"Two crews were on scene at 8.22am to attend a gas leak in the kitchen at the racecourse," he said.

"One person was injured and has been transported to Lismore Base Hospital."

More to come.

Crack down on illegal campers fornicating at popular lookout

Premium Content Crack down on illegal campers fornicating at popular lookout

Frustrated rangers say tourist spot is overrun by campers littering

Jobs on offer ahead of 2021 Australian Census

Premium Content Jobs on offer ahead of 2021 Australian Census

The Australian Bureau of Statistics is currently recruiting to help deliver the...

Film shoot to close popular coastal road

Premium Content Film shoot to close popular coastal road

Filming on the Northern Rivers will cause a temporary closure to a popular local...