Game, set and match: Ballina Open draws record entries
A RECORD number of players have registered for the Ballina New Year Open Tennis Tournament, which kicks off on Saturday and continues through to Tuesday.
Martin Hole from the Ballina Tennis Club said 237 players had signed up for the event.
“In the men’s open singles, which has attracted a field of 88, Brad Clews will be hoping to go one further than last year, when he narrowly lost a three-set final to Jordan Smith,” he said.
“Unfortunately Smith will not be returning to defend his title, but Clews will face tough opposition in Lismore’s Brendan Moore, who won in 2011 and 2012.
“Other fancied players are Brett Hunter and Jack Maddocks, who have both had American university tennis experience.
“In the women’s event, there are 40 entries.
“Again, unfortunately neither of last year’s finalists, Anna Cveticanin and Tylah Beckman, are able to compete, but the field includes two highly nationally ranked women in Zuzana Zlochova and Yuki Chiang, who were ranked one and two in last weekend’s Sunshine Coast Regional Championships.”
In addition to the Open, there are junior ranked events for under 16, 14, 12 and 10 years, as well as lower grades.
Hole said the junior events had attracted lots of local players.
Play will start each day at 8am, with preliminary rounds at both the Ballina and Alstonville courts.
The finals have been scheduled for Ballina on Tuesday afternoon.
Admission is free and spectators are welcome.
For more information about the tournament visit www.ballinatennis.com.au