Funding available for flood victims
PEOPLE living in local government areas which were declared as natural disaster areas in the wake of recent flooding now have access to a raft of government programs to help them get back on their feet.
The Minister for the North Coast, Don Page, said the Bellingen, Nambucca, Coffs Harbour and Clarence valley were among 11 councils to be disaster declared.
He said NSW Government natural disaster assistance funding is available to flood-affected councils, businesses and not-for-profit organisations, to assist the rebuilding effort.
The schemes that are available include:
- Grants to councils to meet the additional costs of emergency work to restore essential services, and to restore roads and bridges to pre-disaster standards
- Loans of up to $130,000 available at a concessional rate to eligible primary industries to meet costs associated with replacement and repair of damage not covered by insurance
- Transport freight subsidies of up to 50 per cent for eligible primary industries for the carriage of livestock and fodder (up to a maximum $15,000 a year)
- Loans of up to $130,000 available at a concessional rate to small businesses affected by a disaster
- Grants to eligible individuals and families
- Loans or grants to not-for-profit groups such as sports clubs, churches, and trustees responsible for managing Crown Land, or public parks and reserves, to restore facilities damaged or destroyed in a disaster, when they can't meet restoration costs
The complete NSW Disaster Assistance Guidelines are available at the Ministry for Police and Emergency Services website: www.emergency.nsw.gov.au.
Mr Page said the Public Information and Inquiry Centre has been reactivated in support of the State Emergency Service, following the severe weather and flooding.
It provides information to affected communities regarding displaced families, road closures, welfare assistance and all other general inquiries. It can be contacted on 1800 227 228.
See the latest flooding information at www.emergency.nsw.gov.au.