Lismore free tip day May 20
LISMORE City Council's free tip day this Sunday is the perfect chance for residents to clear out that unwanted crap.
The council's waste operations coordinator, Kevin Trustum, offered a few tips to make it a hassle-free process for everyone:
- The better you sort your waste, the quicker you will get through the queue.
- The first two hours are quietest so come early and come often.
- Lunchtime is the busiest period (and the hottest time to be waiting in your car).
- With the long queues people are urged to consider whether this is the right day to bring small loads.
- The message is: full-loads are better for the waste facility and residents wanting to de-clutter.
Last year Council collected more than 250 tonnes of waste at its free tip day with around 80% being recycled and diverted away from landfill - a win-win situation for the environment and for residents wanting to clear out their junk.
Mr Trustum said around 1500 cars came through the gate last year, dropping off around 15 tonnes of electronics, 50 tonnes of steel, 6 tonnes of whitegoods and 1.2 tonnes of car batteries.
People are encouraged to separate scrap metal, timber, green waste, household items and other recyclables so these can be diverted away from landfill.
"It's a good opportunity for residents to clean up the clutter in and around their homes - stuff that's sitting in cupboards or in garages that they can't fit in their wheelie bins," Mr Trustum said.
"People are welcome to make as many trips as they need - they can keep coming back all day if they want to!"
Residents must bring along a rates notes or driver's licence as proof of residency and commercial quantities of chemicals, asbestos and truck/tractor tyres will not be accepted on the day. Also no more than 12 car tyres will be allowed in one load.
The free tip day is this Sunday, May 20 from 9.00am to 4.00pm at the Recycling and Recovery Centre in Wyrallah Road, East Lismore.