Five things to do this sunny weekend on the Northern Rivers
AFTER days of heavy rainfall and grey skies, it's a relief to see the sunshine will stay with us for the weekend.
The Bureau of Meteorology is predicting sunny days on Saturday and Sunday with temperatures up to 29C in Lismore and 27C on the coast at Ballina.
To celebrate this summery weather, we've come up with a list of outdoor activities to enjoy:
1. Head to the beach or the river. Make sandcastles and splash in the shallows. Visit www.beachsafe.org.au for your closest patrolled beach. Take care if swimming, boating or fishing, though - a dangerous surf warning has been issued for the NSW coastline.
2. The Channon Craft Market is on this Sunday from 7am, and it's the perfect place to enjoy the sunshine and pick up some unique bargains.
3. Go to one of the region's weekend events. Some of our picks include the Great Eastern Fly-In at Evans Head, the North Coast Street Machines' show and shine at Ballina, and the Starlight Festival at Brunswick Heads.
4. Wet at line at Brunswick Heads on Sunday for the junior fishing competition, run by the Lions Club as part of the annual Fish 'n' Chips Festival. Registration will be 6-10am at the Timber Housie shed in Banner Park. Weigh-in will be at 1pm sharp.
5. If it's time for a spring clean at your place, then you've picked a good weekend for it. Lismore City Council is holding a free tip day this Sunday, 9am-4pm at the Lismore Recycling and Recovery Centre on Wyrallah Rd.