ABOVE: This home in Montwood Drive at Lennox Head sustained major fire damage on Tuesday. The Lennox Head RFS, NSW Fire Brigade and police attended.
ABOVE: This home in Montwood Drive at Lennox Head sustained major fire damage on Tuesday. The Lennox Head RFS, NSW Fire Brigade and police attended. Rebecca Lollback

Fire wrecks home

A LENNOX Head home was almost destroyed by a fire yesterday morning, despite the efforts of Lennox Head Rural Fire Service volunteers and the team from NSW Fire and Rescue at Ballina.

RFS Far North Coast operations officer Inspector Bob Wilcox said the Montwood Drive property sustained major damage in the blaze.

"At this stage it is hard to say, but it does appear to have been an electrical fault which caused the fire," he said.

"The home has very substantial damage.

"It doesn't look so bad from the outside, but there is a lot of damage in the kitchen, the lounge room and right throughout the centre of the property.

"I think it will have to be pulled apart."

Concerned neighbours watched as firefighters struggled to contain the blaze. There was some speculation that the recent wild weather could have caused the electrical fault and sparked the fire. But Insp Wilcox said this could not be confirmed.

"It's hard to say whether the storms could have had an impact," he said.

Relatives of the home owners declined to comment on the incident.



'HORRIFIC': Mum's outrage after pet mauled to death by dog

premium_icon 'HORRIFIC': Mum's outrage after pet mauled to death by dog

Lismore dog owner calls for immediate action after attack

$154 million: That's how much we need to fix our roads

premium_icon $154 million: That's how much we need to fix our roads

Our councils are fixing thousands of potholes every month

Rider 'can't recall' crash which led to serious injuries

premium_icon Rider 'can't recall' crash which led to serious injuries

Rescuers lifted a car off the Goonellabah man after the incident