Grafton Fire Brigade station officer Mick Kearns (front) with a common household smoke detector which he said can be the difference between life and death in the event of a house fire. Also pictured are (back from left) firefighter Cameron Watling, deputy captain Chris Lowler and firefighters Paul Garside and Derek Wrigley.
Grafton Fire Brigade station officer Mick Kearns (front) with a common household smoke detector which he said can be the difference between life and death in the event of a house fire. Also pictured are (back from left) firefighter Cameron Watling, deputy captain Chris Lowler and firefighters Paul Garside and Derek Wrigley.

Safety urged after four blazes

WITH four house fires since Sunday in the Grafton area, Clarence Valley residents are being reminded to take every precaution to protect themselves and their property from fire.

Grafton Fire Brigade station officer Mick Kearns, said while the causes of the four recent fires were probably different, there were still a number of general common-sense rules people should keep in mind to prevent a fire breaking out in their home.

He said about half of household fires started from the kitchen, so he urged people to keep a close eye on cooking.

Mr Kearns said other common causes of house fires were the overloading of power points, clothes dryers which hadn't been cleaned of lint, people smoking in bed and children playing with lighters and matches.

With so many potential sources of fire in the home, Mr Kearns said it was crucial people had smoke detectors.

"Smoke detectors are the major difference between life and death," Mr Kearns said.

However while prevention was the best strategy when it came to house fires, Mr Kearns also recommended people install fire extinguishers and fire blankets in their home.

"They should also have a written escape plan too and make sure keys to all locked doors are accessible in case they need to leave the house quickly.

For more information about preventing house fires and the installation of smoke detectors, visit fire.nsw.gov.au or call the Grafton Fire Station on 66433491.



22-year-old mystery: Conflicting stories in quest for truth

premium_icon 22-year-old mystery: Conflicting stories in quest for truth

Jeffrey had told friends and family that he had been threatened

Face of Lismore flood dies in tragic circumstances

premium_icon Face of Lismore flood dies in tragic circumstances

"Deeply disturbing that someone has died under these circumstances"

Did we take your photo at Lismore outdoor show?

premium_icon Did we take your photo at Lismore outdoor show?

Happy campers converged on the Lismore Showground this weekend

Local Partners