Australian travellers are among those who have lost all they had with them after a fire at a resort in Patong, Phuket.
Australian travellers are among those who have lost all they had with them after a fire at a resort in Patong, Phuket. Candice Holznagel

Aussie travellers witness fire as Phuket resort is destroyed

A BOXING Day fire at a Thailand resort has left many tourists with nothing.

The blaze broke out at 4.30am in Patong, Phuket.

Gladstone resident Kathy Andrews, who is staying at a neighboring resort, awoke to the sound of loud explosions and smoke early Boxing Day morning.

Ms Andrews said she saw staff running around everywhere and Australian tourists standing around wearing nothing but towels.

"They have lost everything," she said. "I did get a lady some clothes."

The cause of the fire is suspected to be electrical, according to Ms Andrews.

"Most of the building is gone," she said.

A spokesperson for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said no Australians were involved in the incident.

"We are aware of reports of a fire at a Phuket resort on December 26," the spokesperson said.

"Thai authorities have confirmed that no Australians were involved in the incident."

 

>>More National headlines

Australians survive Burma plane crash

Police investigate incident of truckie driving dangerously

Australian hostage being held in Philippines is alive

One year on, Matt Golinski's eyes on the future



How to save $200 on your electricity bill

How to save $200 on your electricity bill

Slash your power bill and reduce your impact on the environment

12 fantastic things to do this week

12 fantastic things to do this week

From ice skating in Ballina to a tantra festival in Byron Bay

Attention gin lovers: Impressive wins for local distillery

Attention gin lovers: Impressive wins for local distillery

North Coast distillery takes out top gongs at major competition

Local Partners