Bushfire outbreak under question
THERE will be an investigation into the fire west of Mullumbimby that destroyed more than 340 hectares of bush and forced families to flee their homes.
The Rural Fire Service (RFS) said there was no clear indication of how the blaze started which yesterday drew on the resources of more than 40 fire fighters, three aircraft, two bulldozers and more than 10 fire tanks.
“It's been ear-marked for fire investigation,” RFS Far North Coast manager David Cook said.
The fire, which began in the late-night heat of Monday, was still being successfully contained by back burning and water last night.
Numerous families living in the vicinity of Koonyum Range Road opted to evacuate their homes as the flames approached on Tuesday and yesteday, but no residences had been engulfed by late yesterday afternoon.
By the afternoon, firefighters were working from residential properties to burn back into a break-away fire near Yankee Creek, but the RFS was confident they would bring it under control.
“Everything's gone well on the Mullumbimby fire with the back burning to the west and north,” Mr Cook said.
Three fires around Kyogle were still burning yesterday, but were not a threat to property, he said.
A blaze at Myocum that threatened to burn homes around 1pm was quickly extinguished with five fire tanks and a water-bombing aircraft.
Two fires near Newrybar were also put out yesterday afternoon.
Today's lower temperatures should bring some relief.