Jai's father looks for answers
WEEK after week during the summer holidays Steve Drummond, father of schoolboy Jai Morcom, sat at a small table in the main street of Byron Bay collecting signatures on two petitions relating to his son’s death.
Sixteen-year-old Jai died after a fight in the grounds of Mullumbimby High School in August last year.
Mr Drummond is concerned about the length of time it has taken for an inquest to be formally announced and about perceived inadequacies in the response of the Education Department in dealing with the death.
He estimates there are more then 800 signatures on each of the petitions, which have now been moved to the main street of Mullumbimby.
“It’s really an information stall,” Mr Drummond said.
“People want to know what’s going on, they want answers too.”
Jai’s case will come up for mention in the New South Wales Coroner’s Court on February 12.
Police investigators have provided the State Coroner with a brief on the evidence accumulated so far, but have applied for an extension of time as investigations are continuing.
It will be the second time police have asked for an extension from the Coroner.
Tweed-Byron Local Area Command crime manager Inspector Greg Carey told The Northern Star further inquiries needed to take place.
“It’s a complex investigation and one that crosses state borders,” Insp Carey said.
Since Jai was sent to a Gold Coast hospital and died in Queensland, the Queensland police, coroner and health system are all involved in the on-going inquiries.
Mr Drummond would like the NSW Coroner’s Court to announce an inquest date and deal with the matter as soon as possible.
He is also calling for any witnesses who have not yet done so to come forward and speak to police.