Farmer ends tower hunger strike
NSW grazier Peter Spencer has ended his hunger strike on the advice of his doctor, but feels he’s made his point against land clearing laws.
Mr Spencer has gone without food since November 23, earning nation-wide attention.
Campaign supporter Anne Thompson, from Eltham, who helped organise a busload of local farmers to travel to Canberra last week to protest at Parliament House and speak to Mr Spencer at his Monaro property, said it was a very good outcome.
“Peter is no use to anyone if he’s not here to continue the fight,” she said.
“We remain focused on the issues and hopefully Peter will soon be well enough to spearhead the campaign.
“As Senator Joyce said, we will continue the fight.”
Mrs Thompson said a meeting on Monday at the Lismore Workers Club to help continue Mr Spencer’s campaign would go ahead as planned at 7pm.
“Peter’s action has brought a groundswell of support and drawn awareness to the constitutional issues affecting not only farmers, but all landholders,” she said.
After increasing concern for his health, Mr Spencer said he was coming down from his makeshift perch on a wind tower, and ending his protest hunger strike at his property near Cooma in south-east NSW.
Yesterday was to be his 52nd day without food.
“As much as the nation is concerned about me, my concerns are directed at the families of the hundreds of farmers who have suicided and the politicians who have failed to show any concern,” Mr Spencer said in a statement.
The grazier will continue to lobby the Federal Government to hold a royal commission into land-clearing laws that have prevented him from felling native vegetation on his property.
“I will be relentless in this pursuit,” he said.