Extremely dangerous canister washes up on beach
AN EXTREMELY dangerous canister containing aluminium phosphide washed on to a beach at Salt at Kingscliff yesterday morning.
Tweed/Byron Local Area Command Inspector Greg Jago said the contents could cause death if opened.
"Police are warning the community to not touch or open the canisters as the chemical can be fatal if inhaled or ingested," he said.
"Other symptoms include nausea, ringing in the ears, fatigue and pressure in the chest.
"Police are absolutely concerned so we want to warn people."
Insp Jago said NSW Fire and Rescue's HAZMAT team have now safely contained the canister.