Anglers wait for word on ban
KEY stakeholders have been left in the dark about the future use of key fishing grounds south of Evans Head.
Plans by the Department of Defence to ban recreational boaters from the fishing grounds were revealed in yesterday’s Northern Star.
The plan will see the size of the Evans Head Weapons Range increased well offshore with no boating activity allowed during training runs.
The increase is to accommodate the F-18 Hornet jet, replacing the F-111s.
However, NSW Fisheries said yesterday they had not yet been fully briefed by the department about the plans and could not comment.
Submissions for the Evans Head Coastal Reserves Draft Plan of Management, which governs the environmental management of land next to the range and 3kms out to sea, closed earlier this year.
The department did not make a submission, a Richmond Valley Council spokesman said.
Since Friday, The Northern Star has repeatedly asked the department to comment, but it has not yet issued a response.
The Evans Head Marine Management Committee said the proposal had the potential to wreak economic havoc on the small town.