Fire-fighters were called to fire at a Magellan St unit block on Wednesday morning.
Fire-fighters were called to fire at a Magellan St unit block on Wednesday morning. Lismore Fire & Rescue

EVACUATED: Fire in Lismore CBD unit, residents told to leave

A UNIT block was evacuated in Lismore's city centre after a fire ignited on a couch in the building's common area.

About six to eight people were moved out of the Magellan St complex with firefighters at the scene shortly before 6am.

It is understood a resident put out most of the fire with an extinguisher prior to the arrival of the Lismore fire brigade.

Firies spent about 45 minutes at the unit putting out the fire and ventilating the building.

Leading firefighter Adam Cormick described the fire as a smouldering-type blaze and suspected a discarded cigarette left on the couch may have ignited the fire.

He said smoke alarms alerted neighbouring residents to the fire and reiterated the importance of checking smoke alarms are working in the home.



250ha burnt, cause of fire yet to be uncovered

250ha burnt, cause of fire yet to be uncovered

Fire crews remain on scene at fire

Lismore woman reveals ultimate flood survival plan

premium_icon Lismore woman reveals ultimate flood survival plan

"It wasn't actually scary for us, it was awesome.”

54 amazing photos from the Kyogle rally

premium_icon 54 amazing photos from the Kyogle rally

We snapped all of the action at the Border Ranges Rally

Local Partners