Elderly woman dies from burns

AN ELDERLY NSW woman whose pyjamas caught on fire after brushing a candle has died in hospital.

On Wednesday night, Sydney firefighters responded to reports a woman had been badly burned at her Balmain home.

When they arrived they found a 79-year-old woman with extensive burns to her head, chest, back and arms.

She was taken to the Royal North Shore Hospital where she died on Thursday.

It is believed the woman's flannelette pyjamas caught alight after she brushed past a candle.

A report will be prepared for the Coroner.
 
 



Firefighters are once again protecting homes

Firefighters are once again protecting homes

The fire had burnt 255 hectares before jumping road

Rain, when and where will it fall?: BoM forecaster

premium_icon Rain, when and where will it fall?: BoM forecaster

Some towns could receive up to 80mm of rainfall this week

Motorbike rider killed after crash at Alstonville

Motorbike rider killed after crash at Alstonville

39-year-old man suffered critical injuries and died at the scene

Local Partners