Dylan may do second Bluesfest show
BOB Dylan may still play a second Bluesfest show in Byron Bay next Easter following the scheduling of an extraordinary meeting of Byron Shire Council next Thursday.
Councillors have been called back from holidays to vote on an application by Bluesfest to extend the iconic festival to a sixth day for 2011.
Organisers want to use the substituted public holiday on April 26 to put on a second Bob Dylan concert, as demand for tickets to see the legendary musician was huge, causing thousands to miss out the first time around.
Council staff have again recommended that consent be granted and the Roads and Traffic Authority have already approved the festival extension for next year from a traffic perspective.
Byron Shire mayor Jan Barham said the meeting only needed five councillors to approve the application and indications were that seven councillors would attend.
“It will be good to get it dealt with and allow some clarity for the festival to move forward,” she said.
The council voted earlier this month to defer until February a decision on Bluesfest’s application to extend the festival.
Bluesfest director Peter Noble blamed a minority of councillors and expressed extreme frustration with the delay after being told by council staff in early November that the decision should only take a few weeks.
Mr Noble said the extra day would bring in an extra $2m to $3m at a time when business was doing it tough and he threatened to take the issue to the Land and Environment Court.
“Because of these silly shenanigans the good men and women of Byron Shire Council are having their only break of the year interrupted and I thank them,” he said.