Driver flouted ban on way to court
A WOMAN who had been banned from driving was caught behind the wheel on her way to court to face further driving charges.
Julie Faith Hansen, 20, had been disqualified by the court for two years on August 25, 2010.
Less than a year later on August 4, police caught her behind the wheel and ordered her back to court.
When the court date arrived on October 12, Hansen decided to drive herself - to face the charges of driving while disqualified.
Ipswich Magistrates Court was told that when police pulled her over she said she was going to her court hearing.
Magistrate Donna MacCallum could not believe the stupidity of Hansen's actions.
"It is incredibly breathtaking someone would drive to court to face a charge of disqualified driving," Ms MacCallum said. "It is a flagrant disregard for the law."
The court heard Hansen had grown up in South Australia and she had applied to renew her licence there.
To renew a licence a person must declare if they had been disqualified from driving in another state in the application forms, but Hansen did not.
"The criminality is exacerbated (because) she applied for a licence in another state," Ms MacCallum said.
Defence lawyer Vincent Knox said Hansen had a three-year-old child whom she raised on her own.
He suggested probation but Ms MacCallum told him Hansen was "well beyond that" and a prison sentence was necessary.
Hansen pleaded guilty to two counts of driving while disqualified by a court order and one count each of unlawfully possessing a licence and contravening a police requirement.
The contravene was because Hansen was seven weeks late in going to the police station to give her identifying particulars.
She was sentenced to four months prison and released on immediate parole. She was also disqualified from driving for two years and fined.
The court was told Hansen was first disqualified from driving on May 13, 2010, but was picked up driving on August 2.
She was then caught two weeks later on August 15 and dealt with on August 25, where she was ordered off the roads for two years.
The latest two offences occurred on August 4 and October 12.