Double demerits this weekend
MOTORISTS are reminded double demerit points apply on Northern Rivers roads from midnight as police conduct the annual long-weekend Operation Slow Down.
Double demerits will be in place for speeding, seatbelt and motorcycle-helmet offences until 11.59pm Monday night.
Officers will be out targeting dangerous driving, drink-driving, speeding, fatigue and seatbelt offences.
There have been 33 less deaths on our roads this year, compared to the same time last year.
During Operation Slow Down 2012, three people were killed on NSW roads and 170 people were injured in 544 major crashes.
Police are warning motorists heading away for the long weekend or returning from school holidays to make sure they:
- Plan their trip in advance;
- Stick to the speed limit;
- Take regular rest breaks;
- Ensure everyone in the vehicle is wearing a seatbelt;
- Drive to the conditions;
- Don't drink and drive;
- Don't use handheld electronic devices when behind the wheel.