Bud The Black Lab cross of Casino recovering after a baiting attack that caused him to become paralyised have seizers.
Bud The Black Lab cross of Casino recovering after a baiting attack that caused him to become paralyised have seizers. Jay Cronan

Dog bait dumped in family's yard

SCOUT was a dog like no other.

His personality made him a cherished member of a Casino family, alongside his two canine brothers, a kelpie cross and a labrador cross blue heeler.

But five-year-old Scout died last week to what his owner – who asked to remain anonymous – suspects was the result of a malicious poisoning.

What is worse, the owner said the bait could just as easily have been picked up by a child.

“There are little kids around,” she said.

“What if a kid gets it on their hands and then licks them?

“If that was to happen to one of the kids, I could not handle it.”

The woman said she was at work when she received a distressed call from her son who said one of the family dogs was convulsing.

At the vet, the woman received another call from her husband who said their oldest dog was also convulsing.

“After I knew two dogs were affected I knew something was going on,” she said.

“The vet was then positive it was a toxin or poison. They were talking about the bait 1080, but there is no test to prove that.”

Scout died at the vet and the eldest dog, 13 years old, spent two nights at the vet hospital.

“I had to make the decision to put him down,” she said.

“He had too much blood on his lungs. I have never seen a dog fit like that in my life.”

The woman lives in the middle of Casino in a busy residential street.

“The poison had to be dropped over the side fence in the garden,” she said.

“Over the years there have been a few complaints but there are dogs that bark all over the street in my neighbourhood.

“I don't know if we were targeted or if someone took the opportunity because we were not home at the time.”

The woman reported the incident to Casino Police.

Police have not received any other reports of suspected animal poisoning.

Lismore vet Dr Richard Creed said once a dog digested 1080, it was impossible to save them.

“The bait is used for wild dog control and is used under pretty strict conditions,” he said.

“But people can have access to it when they have a permit and not use it all.”



Unusually hot: Temperatures to nudge 30 degrees

premium_icon Unusually hot: Temperatures to nudge 30 degrees

From the coldest day of the month straight into hot winter weather

Family ask why police stopped searching for Damien so soon

Family ask why police stopped searching for Damien so soon

"Damien was a devoted father ... his passing has devastated us all"

Sorry Queensland, but you're missing out (again)

Sorry Queensland, but you're missing out (again)

Over the border they're debating daylight saving for the 657th time

Local Partners