Disqualified driver doing 170kmh
A PALM Beach man clocked driving at 170kmh explained to police that he thought he was only going 150kmh, a court has heard.
Repeat offender Joshua James Honess, 22, appeared in Tweed Heads Local Court yesterday charged with driving while disqualified and driving recklessly at a speed dangerous to the public.
Police reports suggest Honess was driving south on the Pacific Highway near Chinderah about 6pm on November 26 last year at speeds up to 170kmh.
Police followed the car, noticing it had begun to swerve from lane to lane without indicating.
When police pulled the car over, Honess told police he couldn’t produce his licence as he was disqualified from driving.
The court heard Honess say: “I thought I was only going 150”.
The offence comes at the end of a long list of driving infringements in both NSW and Queensland dating back to 2006, including drink-driving, driving unlicensed and a second case of driving recklessly at a speed dangerous to the public.
Honess’ defence lawyer said he had recently completed a Forum Sentencing program.
The program aims to reduce the offender’s likelihood of re-offending by giving the offender the opportunity to learn about the impact of their behaviour on victims.
The defence said Honess had made enormous progress since the incident “for someone who has come from such a chaotic lifestyle”, and that he had completed counselling and begun volunteer work at his daughter’s school.
“He has insight into his offending nature and has acknowledged his behaviour and the effect it has had on his family and other road users,” the defence said.
Magistrate Michael Dakin disagreed with the defence by pointing out Honess had failed to complete the program as he did not provide paperwork to Forum Sentencing by the set date and that his actions on the road could have killed or seriously injured someone.
Honess received 21 months jail wholly suspended and is disqualified from driving for the next three years.