Demountable still at Goonengerry
THE education authorities have not acted on their threat to remove the first of two demountable classrooms from a local school this week – for now.
Goonengerry Public School had been told workmen would fence off a classroom on Monday and return on Wednesday to take it away.
So far there has been no action, much to the relief of teachers and parents.
The Northern Star reported on Tuesday that Goonengerry had received a double classroom through the Building the Education Revolution.
It had been refused the multi-purpose building it asked for, but was ‘very appreciative’ of the new portable classrooms, said P&C association president Lissa Maloney.
However, the school had started to use one of the older demountables as its ‘spill-over’ area, where children could go for music lessons, performances and some sports, or to split its composite classes that need separating regularly.
The Department of Education used BER money to cement the classroom in, paint it and establish gardens, and it became a valued resource for the teachers, especially during wet weather.
“It’s being used every day of the week for essential learning,” Ms Maloney said.
In April the department told the school it was to lose both older classrooms.
The school appealed against the decision in a letter to the department, and parents have threatened a sit-in protest to keep the upgraded older building.
The reasons given for removal include a projected fall in enrolments, and maintenance costs. But the area expects population growth and the school has pledged to pay for upkeep.